Morning affirmations can help you create the life you desire and let go of negative beliefs that are holding you back. Find out how.
Do you ever find yourself struggling to make it through the day? Maybe you aren’t able to complete your to-do list, or maybe your emotions are out of control. You may wonder what you can do to help yourself. Well, you’ve come to the right place. Read on to find out how you can change your life through the practice of morning affirmations.
What are morning affirmations?
To understand how to practice morning affirmations, you must first learn the definition of an affirmation. Affirmations are the things that we repeatedly say to ourselves, or even think to ourselves. When you say something to yourself repeatedly, your brain associates those words with your identity. You become what you say and think. This applies to positive and negative thoughts.
The part of your brain that translates your thoughts into your identity and behavior is your Reticular Activating System (RAS). You can use this part of your brain to mold your life, simply by using affirmations. Most people think negative thoughts about 80% of the time, which attracts negativity in their lives. By repeatedly subjecting your subconscious to positive statements, (affirmations) you can create positive changes.
Morning affirmations are simply positive statements that you repeat in the morning. By starting your day with morning affirmations, you set yourself up for success during the rest of the day. They can motivate and inspire you for the rest of your day.
Do morning affirmations really work?
You may be wondering if there’s any evidence to support affirmations. The answer is, yes! Since the emergence of affirmation practice in the 1920’s, numerous performed studies evidence the effectiveness of affirmations.
Recently, at Carnegie Mellon, a study showed that practicing affirmations decreased stress and improved problem-solving. You don’t have to read studies though; you can find out for yourself. By practicing affirmations, you can see for yourself the effects they can have on your life. Some things you may notice are:
- Increased motivation. By affirming positive beliefs about yourself, you will be more motivated to meet those beliefs. You will put your goals into action, meet them and then experience motivation to do more.
- Increase awareness to improve mood. By repeating positive thoughts daily, you will become more aware of your negative thoughts and feelings. Increased awareness gives you the ability to monitor your thoughts and increase positivity. This leads to a more positive mood and improved outlook on life.
- Increased gratitude, increased happiness. It’s no secret that gratitude helps us lead happier, more fulfilling lives. When you are constantly focusing on the positive things in your life, you will experience more joy and feel more satisfied.
- You attract more of what you want. By changing your beliefs about yourself and the things around you, you will attract more of what you want. You will attract more blessings in your life and find sources of true happiness.
- Health benefits. The decrease in stress you experience by practicing morning affirmations will benefit your health. Stress negatively affects the cardiovascular system. So it’s no stretch to say that a happy life means a happy heart as well.
How do I start morning affirmations?
Okay, so now you know all the health benefits, where do you start? Unfortunately, the first part of the process is the hardest. Once you get past this though, you’re on your way to a happier, healthier you. Here’s some steps to get you started.
- Make a list of the negative things about you. Make a list of the negative beliefs you have about yourself. This can be things you say to yourself, or things other people have said to you. It doesn’t matter if they’re true or not, just write them down on a piece of paper.
- Pick the things you want to change. As you read your list, what stands out to you? What is preventing change? Pick a few of these beliefs that you want to change.
- Rephrase your negative belief. This can be tricky, but you can do it. Take the beliefs you’ve picked and rephrase them into a positive belief. It needs to be in the present tense and completely contradict your negative statement. Something like, “I am loving and compassionate.” Whatever feels right to you.
- Repeat these affirmations every morning. Every morning, at the start of your day, repeat your affirmations. You can do this by writing them down multiple times if you find that helpful. But the most important thing to do is to say the affirmation aloud. It’s even better if you can do this in front of a mirror.
- Trust in the process. Remember, negative thoughts bring negative experiences into your life. Trust in the process and that it will work. Allow time for your affirmations to take place in your subconscious. You will be amazed at the benefits over time.
How do I say morning affirmations?
It’s important to say affirmations aloud. You may be wondering exactly how you’re supposed to say them. Although it may be awkward and uncomfortable at first, following these steps will lead you on the path to success and happiness. Just know that with time, speaking affirmations will become a positive, comforting experience. Here’s some steps to get you started:
- Stand in front of the mirror and look at yourself. If you can, look yourself in the eyes and really connect to your inner self. Smile and know, there are only good things to come.
- Take a few breaths. Inhale to the count of eight, and exhale to the count of eight. Do this a few times, until you feel your head is clear of distractions.
- While looking at yourself, say each affirmation 3-5 times. Make sure you speak clearly and confidently. Focus on the words you are saying. Allow yourself to experience any visuals associated with your affirmations.
- After saying your affirmations aloud, repeat your breaths. Make sure you feel your body absorb the affirmation, before going about your day.
- During the day, think back on your morning affirmation session. Mentally reaffirm your beliefs if needed throughout the day.
How long before morning affirmations begin working?
So, you begin practicing affirmations. How long does it take to really start working in your life? Unfortunately, this really depends on you and your beliefs. Sometimes a belief is so deeply seated in our subconscious that it takes a greater amount of time to remove. You may have to practice morning affirmations for some time before experiencing results.
On average, it takes about a month to change most beliefs, but this is vey subjective. Be patient with yourself and your body. When you being practicing morning affirmations, you are literally changing the wiring in your brain. This can be a difficult and long-winded process. Furthermore, the opposition within each individual’s brain is different. Listen to your body, and give it time to adjust.
How can I speed up the change process?
While the time it takes to change differs from person to person, there are some things you can do to speed up the process. Always remember though, that our minds and bodies will change when they are ready, not on the timelines we give them. Here’s some tips for speeding up the process:
- Immerse yourself in affirmations. While morning affirmations are effective, you can practice them more throughout the day. Increase the frequency of your affirmation sessions to improve results. Many people find that three times a day is sufficient.
- Affirm when your mind is flexible. If you notice that you feel particularly susceptible to affirmations, practice them in that moment. Sometimes you will notice that your negative beliefs are overwhelming and all powerful. It can be difficult to practice affirmations during these times. The opposite is true though, and using affirmations when you feel your brain is ready can be very effective.
- Focus on the worst, first. Sometimes we have beliefs that limit our ability to change. Focus on your deepest beliefs that prevent you from being your best self. These beliefs are rooted deep in the subconscious, so may be difficult to extract. Once extracted, change will become easier and more achievable.
- Record your affirmations, and listen to them. It may seem awkward at first. But listening to recording of your own affirmations can instigate change. Listen before bed and throughout the day for best results.
- Trust in your body’s timeline. No matter how badly we want to change, sometimes our brains are not ready. You just have to do your part and allow the change to happen when it’s supposed to. Try not to become resentful and frustrated, as this will just slow down the process.
What if morning affirmations are not working?
If you’ve been practicing morning affirmations for some time, and feel like they aren’t working, there’s some common reasons why. Here’s a few:
- The words are coming from your mouth, not your heart. You may be just going through the motions. Look at your list of affirmations and remind yourself why you chose those statements. Make a pledge to yourself to speak them from your heart, with all the emotion of when you started.
- You feel the statement isn’t true. Sometimes you may feel like your positive affirmation is a lie. Then you may feel guilty for saying it. This is not how affirmations are meant to work. Remind yourself that you don’t have to believe the affirmation. It doesn’t need to be true. There is no reason to feel guilt over your affirmation. Say your affirmation with confidence, along with the hope that someday this affirmation will ring true.
You’re trying to change too many things at once. Focusing on all of your desired changes at once can be too much for the subconscious. If you think this is the problem, try focusing on what you want to change the most. Dial back on the amount of change you’re trying to instigate. Focus on quality, not quantity.
You don’t believe you can change, so you don’t do anything. Just saying it is not always enough. You have to take action to produce results. If you don’t believe affirmations can help you, they may not. If belief is the problem then start by wanting to want to believe. It sounds goofy, but you can do it. Then, take action. You’ll be amazed at the difference.
Are there any resources to help me?
You may wonder what resources there are to help. The great news is there is tons of information online to assist you on your journey. A good place to start is online classes. You can participate in online classes that teach you everything you need to know about morning affirmations and affirmations in general.
There are tons of testimonials to the changes other people have experienced using these types of learning methods. If you want experience the full benefit of morning affirmations, then taking a class is a great option. They can teach you how to become the very best version of yourself.
What are some affirmation examples?
If you’re struggling with what phrases to use, here’s some ideas.
- I am, and will always be, enough.
- I have the power to create success and obtain my desires.
- I am beautiful, confident and exactly as I should be.
- I am a confident leader, and someone others look up to.
- I am capable of making good decisions in all areas of my life.
- I can let go of the negative beliefs that prevent me from being my true self.
- I am focused on my goals and I will achieve them.
- I am creating the life I desire.
Life is difficult, but morning affirmations can help. When you wake up every morning and practice morning affirmations, you can do anything you desire. Affirmations are powerful, and give you the ability to change your thoughts, behaviors and actions.